all for Jesus ...

"What about you? What precious perfume is locked inside your heart that could be lavished on our Lord? The little treasures you and I struggle to hold on to may hold back opportunities to worship Him with extravagant praise, releasing ministry and service to Him that will bless all those around us." Angela Munizzi

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

weekly gem #3

"but godliness with contentment is great gain." 1 timothy 6:6.

i've found myself thinking about this passage of scripture a lot this week. you can read it here.

this chapter of the bible talks about our lot in life. am i satisfied with what God has provided? how often do i cry, "foul!" because i am not happy with how my life is going? is it God's fault or my fault? will having more money (or more of whatever - you can fill in the           as it applies to you) "fix" things for me or truly improve my situation? it's so easy to think that sometimes!

there are truths contained in this chapter of timothy that are quite common. i bring nothing into this world and can take nothing out of it. the love of money is the root of all evil. "stuff" won't make me happy. but what often is overlooked - what will satisfy me - is also stated when timothy says: "pursue righteousness."


pursuing righteousness is where the blend of godliness and contentment mingle to create an existence that is not satisfied with just being - but having a life filled with both purpose and meaning.

when my sight is set on God and living according to what He thinks is best, i am satisfied. i don't worry about what i don't have. i can see that God is in control of the circumstances of my life. when i hurt, i can rest in Him and allow Him to comfort me. God fills my cup until it overflows. why does He do this? not only for my benefit, but that i can reach out to others. to "do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share." (vs. 18)

this is only possible because my needs are met in God. what i offer to others is not me, but God living inside of me. as i pursue Him, He can, in turn, work through me to love others. how awesome is that!

don't be satisfied with material contentment ... go for godliness! amazing things will happen ...

No comments:

Post a Comment