all for Jesus ...

"What about you? What precious perfume is locked inside your heart that could be lavished on our Lord? The little treasures you and I struggle to hold on to may hold back opportunities to worship Him with extravagant praise, releasing ministry and service to Him that will bless all those around us." Angela Munizzi

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

wednesday check-in

well, it's wednesday and how am I doing with my sunday gem? so far, okay. i've been moving my piles into the office and going through the mail at a good clip. have not yet cleaned the bathroom, but that's one of my goals to achieve before the end of the week.

God has been making real to me the truth that He is my refuge and strength, an "ever-present help in trouble." that is the first verse of psalm 46, which you can read here.

one message that was drilled into me in my youth was that there was no help and that i was foolish for needing/wanting it. in a strange way, it fostered feelings of independence and competency that, over the years, have become more of a positive than a negative. a good example of how God can redeem and use the tough things in our lives for good.

however, feeling alone also bred a heart hindered by fear and a lack of trust. i became accustomed to finding my own way instead of simply asking God to show me His ways. when trouble comes calling, my instinct is to figure a way out of it on my own instead of listening to God and finding out what He wants me to do. my prayer is to learn to go to Him first - and always.

the truth:  when I know God is "ever-present," it's easier to call for the "help in trouble."

how do I remember that He is always here? i read His Word - the bible - and talk with Him frequently. my inner radar is tuned in to God, eager to know what He's saying and doing. i keep physical reminders (photos, quotes, stones, etc.) around at work and at home that remind me of reality: God is here! always accessible. He never gets tired of me coming to Him. He doesn't look down on me for needing Him.

so, my Father God, i thank You that we can call for Your help, trust that You will answer, and rejoice in knowing that You are always with us! All of us - simultaneously - everywhere - which is REALLY cool!

what do you do when you're in trouble? who do you turn to? no matter who or where you are, God is waiting for your call ...

2 comments:

  1. *Sung in the voice of Mr. Rogers* I'm proud of you, I'm proud of you, I hope that you are as proud as I am...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Mr. Rogers! He was my first friend. :^)

    ReplyDelete